[colug-432] Search Command History

Pat Collins pat at linuxcolumbus.com
Wed Feb 12 10:46:09 EST 2014

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 19:32:18 -0500 Brian Miller <bnmille at gmail.com> wrote

> I would get into the habit of running "screen" whenever you make an SSH
> connection to your server.  That way, when your connection gets dropped,
> you can re-connect, and run "screen -r" to pick up where you left off.
> It's really handy if you need to kick off a long running process.  You
> can start the process at work, disconnect, go home, eat dinner, log in
> through the VPN, and then move on to the next step.

Call me old fashioned, but nohup is installed on most systems and is the best
way if you want to run a long process and not leave your shell open.   On a
production server, the less dependencies I have to install (or beg to get
installed) the better.

If I'm doing critical work, I script what I'm going to do, verify that it is
going to work (yikes testing) and then run the script with nohup.   This way my
work becomes reproducible and I have some idea about what I've done without
having to rely on command history.

Pat