[colug-432] Comcast and connectivity alternatives

Angelo McComis angelo at mccomis.com
Thu Feb 13 09:20:50 EST 2014

I was just looking into this myself before the announcement.

As for Linux-friendly, I would never ask a customer service rep a network
question about something past their equipment. I guess that means that all
network handoffs are Linux friendly to me. But they're also VMware friendly,
Windows friendly, iOS friendly, Android friendly, Wii friendly, X-Box
friendly, Network-attached printer, and Blue-Ray player friendly...  because
I have all of that behind my connection and everything is nice and happy.

Take a look here...

http://www.cablemover.com/   Type in your address only (not email!), and it
will search and scan and tell you what is available in your area.  This
assumes you're expecting to bundle cable and internet service.  As a
standalone service, DSL is really the only other option, and it's never
above 5-10mbps, which you might as well sign up for a 4G LTE hotspot and
call it a day.

http://www.speedtest.net/isp-performance  -- Check out Comcast and compare
it to TWC.  Comcast has better speeds, at least in aggregate.

http://www.speedtest.net/local/columbus-oh -- Check out the comparison of
providers across Columbus.  Other locations here
http://www.speedtest.net/location-performance

That said, most areas around here (there are some pockets of exceptions),
the choice (singular) is TWC.

Keep in mind, Comcast is not going to come in and pull out all of TWC's
finished work, fire all their people, and replace with their own. (yes, some
of that will happen in the spirit of "economy of scale" like in HR, Finance,
management... goes without saying)  They're likely to keep the @x.rr.com
domains because people don't know how to migrate their emails, they're
likely to keep all the set top and modems and such will all stay the same.

I believe (and I hope I'm correct) that all we current customers will see is
just a new name on the envelope for sending the bill to each month.  At
least for the first 3 or so years after the deal closes.

Angelo