[colug-432] buying a registered domain

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Sat Feb 15 12:00:23 EST 2014

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 11:41:02 AM Joshua Kramer wrote:
> > Never do a domain search unless you are ready to buy immediately. By
> > "immediately" I mean IMMEDIATELY.  I've found, for example, that
> > searching for "surname.com" and not buying it immediately will result
> > in someone ELSE buying the domain and stockpiling it.
>
> This only happens if you do your searching on a shady registrar.  I
> always use Register4Less and have NEVER had this happen, sometimes
> waiting as long as a month or two to buy the domain I originally had an
> interest in.

Network Solutions has been known to do this sort of thing if you search for
a domain on their site. Not traditionally one considered shady.

I recommend doing searches independent of the registrars, such as using the
"whois" command itself. It's possible that the registrar answering the
query can still reserve it upon getting the query, but at least it cuts
down on who can give you problems.

--
Rob Funk <rfunk at funknet.net>
http://funknet.net/rfunk