[colug-432] buying a registered domain

Angelo McComis angelo at mccomis.com
Mon Feb 17 14:35:35 EST 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Rick Hornsby <richardjhornsby at gmail.com>wrote:

> OT: I've been very, very happy with DH.  I've been with them for a little
> over 7 years.  Their support is very responsive, and will provide an
> appropriately technical response to a technical question.  I occasionally
> use my shell account when I'm on the road (hotel wifi, coffee shop, etc)
> for an SSH tunnel.  While you're technically not supposed to do that,
> they've never complained.  I use my shell account to do things like keep
> track of my home WAN DHCP address by writing a small file, and while that's
> also technically probably not something they want me doing (they're a web
> hosting provider, not a shell script provider) they've never mentioned it.
>
> The only thing I really can't do that I wish I could is some management of
> my mailman lists through the shell.  There have been times when I want to
> use the python/shell commands to fetch the membership list, add/remove
> people, etc.  All in all, that's a pretty minor inconvenience.

For your own use, and as long as you're not going nuts, or doing anything
abusive, they'll leave you alone. I've done the same thing since having my
DH account.

As for keeping track of your home WAN IP, you could simply run a script
that does a wget once an hour to a host on that server hosted on DH. It's a
URL only you know, so you grep the access log for who requested the page
RicksHomeIPgetter.htm and voila, it's your home IP that's doing the fetch.
 No fancy script required.

Another thing you could do is configure your router to update one of the
many (and many FREE) DDNS services.

Sorry - we're way OT by now, but it happens sometimes with this group...