[colug-432] Red Hat and CentOS buddy-up

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Jan 8 16:04:32 EST 2014

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014, Eric Floehr wrote:

> I had heard that Fedora was moving from yum to DNF, which is
> basically a fork of yum that uses the dependency solver from
> openSUSE (libsolv), but I hadn't heard they are moving away
> from RPM. What format are they moving to?

I think the principal model to 'hold pieces' will still
include RPM packages, as they are well defined and fit
comfortable with the Unix pholisophy.  Compare contra, carring
around large DWGs with all libraries under a local tree in the
Apple model.  I do not follow Windows packaging closely enough
to know how DLL hell was solved as well as it presently seems
to be, but I expect a strong backend conformance to a spec is
in play.  FOSS based is not that tidy, and RPMs (or .debs)
have served well [at LSB and FHS we have recently been
considering how to best generalize vendor and package
namespace, particularly in light of 'SCL's from RHT]

But consider the move to cloud, and short lived, pre-built,
(and often) non-updatable images.  Like any appliance, having
all the space footprint of carring around a general purpose
package manager is hard to justify in some cases, and so
functionally 'dialing back' the manager seems an obvious place
for improvement.  I spoke with the lead on this at a FUDCON a
bit over a year ago, and the 'final best' approach had not yet
emerged.  The churn in 'installable image' generators reflects
this

-- Russ herrold