[colug-432] 1 or 2 sticks of RAM

Stephen Potter spp at unixsa.net
Sun Jan 12 10:29:44 EST 2014

On 1/11/2014 11:37 PM, tom wrote:
> I just came by a Dell Optiplex 210L Desktop Computer 3GHz P4. $6.98 out
> the door. No RAM. Supposed to boot to setup with RAM. Would it run
> better with I - 2 GB stick or 2 - 1GB sticks?
>
> Advantage of using 1 1GB stick, is if it does not POST, and is toast, I
> am only out the cost of $6.98 + cost of 1 stick. If it works, I'll add
> another stick.
>
> Advantage of 1 2GB stick (if it's not toast), I can add another 2GB stick.

Tom-
Performance will be marginally better with two sticks, but considering
the overall specs of the system, probably not enough to be noticeable.

If I can find where I put it, I did have a couple of sticks lying around
that I'd be willing to let you borrow to test.  Heck, if I find it, and
it works for you and you make me a reasonable offer, I'd even sell it to
you for a good price.

-spp