[colug-432] How can I tell what driver cpu scaling uses?

Joshua Kramer joskra42.list at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 11:50:46 EST 2014

Hello All,

I have an HP laptop that I just re-installed CentOS 6 on.  Using the stock
2.6 kernel, 95% of the hardware works.  However, if I use a 3.1 kernel, 99%
of the hardware works.  Almost.

With the 3.1 kernel, I cannot start cpuspeed.  It cannot write to the file

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

With the 2.6 kernel, cpuspeed runs just fine.

I'm guessing that the 3.1 kernel provided by elrepo doesn't have the right
cpu speed scaling drivers compiled in.  Does anyone know how I can tell
which driver the 2.6 kernel uses for this, so I can build it for the 3.1
kernel?

Thanks!
-JK