[colug-432] Cost v. Price for a new build

tom thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 17:17:39 EST 2014

On 01/25/2014 01:49 PM, Steve VanSlyck wrote:
> Hey guys. Looking for some one with opinions.
>
> I built my first new system and was just curious what a similar system
> would cost if bought from, say, Dell or HP. Don't need anyone to prove
> anything or look anything just, just best guess.
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1988041/build-save.html

You might get something from them with similar performance figures, but
you don't know what mobo you are getting. In Dell's case they use mobo's
from different manufacturers not having identical specs in one computer
model. Might have odd ball form factor. Power supply might be non
standard with non standard connection to mobo. Doubt if memory will me
as good as Crucial. Optical drive will be a crap shoot as well.

Dell generally maintains very good documentation back to very old stuff.
HP documentation is rather poor for older stuff.

Dell's stuff is a crap shoot in general. Some of it really good. Some
not. Their high end stuff is usually great. Disclaimer - I have worked
at Dell multiple times in the past. That said, I will tell anybody that
some of their stuff is good and some is crap.

Tom