[colug-432] kmod vs akmod nvidia

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Sun Jan 26 14:45:53 EST 2014

On 01/26/2014 12:02 PM, Vince Herried wrote:

> I removed all the kmod-nvida and installed akmod-nvida.
> leaving out a lot of dialog, I find that akmod-nvidia, apparently at
> boot time, at least before i get logged in with X runnning, installs
> kmod-nvidia ( I re-removed kmod-nvidia and see  a grumble that RPMDB
> was updated outside yum.)   Then after re-boot kmod-nvidia is
> re-installed!

Okay ... so by "kmod-nvidia is re-installed" you do NOT mean the RPM
database, correct?

Guessing it's in the INITRD.
Did you re-build your initial RAMDISK after removing the one and
installing the other?

I'll presume that the remove/install properly cleared out /lib/modules
and stuff like that. If so, then it's likely just finding it in the boot
magic.

-- R; <><