[colug-432] Soliciting January meeting ideas: Shell Scripting

Keith Larson klarson at k12group.net
Sun Jan 26 22:47:34 EST 2014

I think that modifying somebody else's script more challenging.

I just recently had to so a complete re-write to incorporate stuff that someone else contributed.  It was very difficult to find the right thing to search for just to get info on the source command.  Fortunately, I was able to describe what I wanted to accomplish and several people responded (from a different list) with the correct command to do it.  It is very hard to do on your own without guidance from more experienced people.

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 22:33:12 -0500, Tom Hanlon <tom at functionalmedia.com> wrote:

> I found shell scripting is and was a little bit cryptic.

What kind of a presentation would be helpful toward
demystifying shell scripting?

    A tutorial?
    Explanation of specific cryptic things?

Which is more trouble? Making your own new scripts
or understanding or modifying somebody else's scripts?