[colug-432] Net Neutrality

Jeff Frontz jeff.frontz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 12:04:40 EST 2014

My recollection is that the "lack of authority" stems from the FCC's own
pronouncement on the interpretation of the associated laws.  First, they
decided that they would not classify internet service as a "common
carrier".  Then they turned around and started imposing regulations on ISPs
that the law said could only be enforced against common carriers.  It seems
like they have the power to fix their own pronouncement (though it will
no-doubt have lots of unintended consequences).

Given the monopoly (or, at best, non-competing triopoly) status of
broadband providers in most communities, I think it's quite fair to have
the FCC intervene.  At least until Google lays more FTTH.