[colug-432] Net Neutrality

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Jan 27 13:18:53 EST 2014

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014, Jeff Frontz wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 12:44 PM, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:
>
> > s/ISP/last mile providers/
>
> True. If you're lucky enough to live inside a CO/POP, you can get actual
> competitive pricing/service.

I know Linux folks have perhaps an inside advantage, but I've
run a Squid proxy and my email up in the datacenter for a long
long time; also, encrypted VPN links back to my office,
residence, and travel laptop from a boundry router next to the
'last hop' provider.  Unless one is streaming tonnes of
encrypted content, a minimal (but unfiltered and brustable)
endpoint is about all one needs

For all the complaints one sees about ATT (and I have the
horror stories as well) my commercial service from them is
free of such 'traffic shaping' games as well.  I wish to heck
they put native ipv6 on U-verse, as they do their commercial
links

Perhaps I need to round up a presentation on anonymous
proxying, but I've been playing with a 'QNAP' device recently,
and almost all of it is FOSS and replicable.  The founder of
the old e-smith (now SME Server) project and I have also been
mulling over the way Red Hat's takeover of CentOS will play
out, from 'community rebuilds' POV and I want my automated
buildfarms to be in front of any possible adverse end-game.
Building an RPM based QNAP device seemed like a good 'proof of
concept' (QNAPs run a stabilized Ubuntu, atm)

-- Russ herrold