[colug-432] the /etc test

tom thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 17:21:17 EDT 2014

On 07/21/2014 03:34 PM, Rick Troth wrote:
> Pronounced "the etsy test".
>
> On 07/21/2014 12:26 PM, Scott Merrill wrote:
>> I recently learned that someone who I consider to be a competent Linux
>> sysadmin had never personally installed Linux.  In his professional
>> life, that was a task always performed by a different team.
>
> Most shocking for me was to find at one shop that "systems
> programmers" in one group did not know programming. To be specific,
> they did not know the primary developmental language of that system.
> This knowledge was historically a requirement. (True, one can go far
> with Linux and not know C from the alphabet. But here was almost like
> not knowing command entry.)
>
> There's a spectrum of capability ... along several axis. Point taken,
> Scott. There's also a problem of elitism, even snobbery.
> But
> the need to bring people up to speed is real and serious. (Crypto
> crises are just the low hanging fruit for opportunistic journalists.
> Other forms of system security follow closely, and RAS (reliability,
> availability, serviceability) aspects will become critical.)
>
> In job A, I learned about the /etc test.
> In job B, I tried to apply it. Didn't go well.
>
> In job A, the Unix team hired a PhD student who was ostensibly a Unix
> heavy. Guy's working on a doctorate so he's not suffering from lack of
> basic brains, and he'd been *on* the Unix systems for months. But they
> had to let him go after just a week. It was embarrassing and painful.
> Somehow he passed the interview only to fall flat with real work. What
> happened?
>
> Looking for a sharper edge, someone on that team hit upon "the /etc
> test". The idea was ...
>
>     cd /etc
>     ls
>     "tell me what each of these is used for"
>

> It's a Kobayashi Maru. You're going to fail. Something in the range of
> files will be outside your domain of knowledge. But the intent (of the
> interviewers) was to see how far you get. (And maybe also see how you
> handle the unknowns.)
>
> In job B, I was allowed to be part of the interviewing panel. As if
> candidates were not intimidated enough, I threw in the /etc test.
> Once. We hired that candidate, and she was terrific, an excellent
> engineer/admin. But she let us know with certainty (after joining the
> team) that "the /etc test" was a bad idea (in her not so humble opinion).
>
> I've mentioned the /etc test a few times since then.
>
> -- R; <><

I'm not system admin material, but am curious:

acpi                    dictionaries-common    iproute2
networks          selinux
adduser.conf            dkms                   issue newt
sensors3.conf
adjtime                 dm                     issue.net
nsswitch.conf     sensors.d
alternatives            dnsmasq.d              java-7-openjdk
obex-data-server  services
anacrontab              doc-base               kbd openal            sgml
apg.conf                dpkg                   kernel opt
shadow
apm                     drirc                  kernel-img.conf
os-release        shadow-
apparmor                emacs                  kerneloops.conf
pam.conf          shells
apparmor.d              environment            ldap pam.d
signond.conf
apport                  firefox                ld.so.cache
papersize         skel
apt                     firefox-3.0            ld.so.conf
passwd            sound
at-spi2                 firefox-3.5            ld.so.conf.d
passwd-           speech-dispatcher
avahi                   fonts                  legal pcmcia            ssh
bash.bashrc             fstab                  libao.conf
perl              ssl
bash_completion         fstab.d                libaudit.conf
pki               subgid
bash_completion.d       fuse.conf              libnl-3 pm
subgid-
bindresvport.blacklist  gai.conf               libpaper.d
pnm2ppa.conf      subuid
blkid.conf              gconf                  libreoffice
polkit-1          subuid-
blkid.tab               gdb                    lintianrc
ppp               sudoers
bluetooth               ghostscript            linuxmint
profile           sudoers.d
bonobo-activation       gimp                   locale.alias
profile.d         sysctl.conf
brlapi.key              gnome                  localtime
protocols         sysctl.d
brltty                  gnome-settings-daemon  logcheck
pulse             systemd
brltty.conf             gnome-vfs-2.0          login.defs
purple            terminfo
ca-certificates         groff                  logrotate.conf
python            thunderbird
ca-certificates.conf    group                  logrotate.d
python2.7         timezone
calendar                group-                 lsb-release
python3           ts.conf
casper.conf             grub.d                 ltrace.conf
python3.4         ucf.conf
chatscripts             gshadow                lvm rc0.d             udev
chromium-browser        gshadow-               magic rc1.d
udisks2
colord.conf             gtk-2.0                magic.mime
rc2.d             ufw
ConsoleKit              gtk-3.0                mailcap rc3.d
updatedb.conf
console-setup           hddtemp.db             mailcap.order
rc4.d             update-motd.d
cracklib                hdparm.conf            manpath.config
rc5.d             UPower
cron.d                  host.conf              mdm rc6.d
upstart-xsessions
cron.daily              hostname               mime.types
rc.local          upstream-release
cron.hourly             hosts                  mke2fs.conf
rcS.d             usb_modeswitch.conf
cron.monthly            hosts.allow            modprobe.d
request-key.conf  usb_modeswitch.d
crontab                 hosts.deny             modules request-key.d     vim
cron.weekly             hp                     modules-load.d
resolvconf        vtrgb
cups                    icedtea-web            mono resolv.conf       wgetrc
cupshelpers             ifplugd                mtab rmt
wildmidi
dbus-1                  init                   mtab.fuselock
rpc               wodim.conf
debconf.conf            init.d                 mtools.conf
rsyslog.conf      wpa_supplicant
debian_version          initramfs-tools        nanorc rsyslog.d         X11
default                 inputrc                ndiswrapper
samba             xdg
deluser.conf            insserv                netscsid.conf
sane.d            xml
depmod.d                insserv.conf           network securetty
zsh_command_not_found
dhcp                    insserv.conf.d         NetworkManager security

How much of the above should an average user know? How about a serious user?

This is from a fresh install of LinuxMint 17

I know the feeling about Job A. Human Resources usually hire the person
that's best at jumping thru hoops. (not me) I knew a lady that ran a
Human Resources company. She said it was really hard to determine who
could actually do the job. I usually got the best jobs (in another
field) by hiring on as a temp, and then the engineer had to have me
hired. One time after that happened, the woman that ran Human Resources
came and told me she would never had hired me. I told her that she was
incompetent and that if it was my company I would fire her.

Tom