[colug-432] Computer Programmer Productivity Ratio

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Mon Jul 21 19:29:05 EDT 2014

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 15:20:15 -0400, Rick Troth <rmt at casita.net> wrote:

> We gotta gently bring these people Jim speaks of into the fold.
> Tricky. They don't know what they don't know.

Amen!

What brought the question about was a discussion with a
non-programmer who is doing heavy duty number crunching
programming that will need to be done in real-time.
That's the person who was incredulous that there is (at least)
an order of magnitude difference between mediocre and good
programmers.

I wonder if that person is working in isolation in the sense of
not seeing others' code and vice versa. Other possibilities are
that that person see others' code and vice versa, but that it
is all of the same level. My guess would be that there are
opportunities for improving the code.

The broader subject reminds me of a book held up in the air
across from North High School.