[colug-432] Computer Programmer Productivity Ratio

Tom Hanlon tom at functionalmedia.com
Sun Jul 27 23:36:38 EDT 2014

In the spirit of this group, which has in my opinion always been about
helping others and sharing knowledge I would like to add the
following.

I do a lot of demo's in front of classes full of techies. The idea is
that I am supposed to be teaching them something, and often I am, but
there are plenty of times that they are teaching me.

I recently learned about Python notebooks and the python pandas
library. Cool stuff, but arguably not a sysadmin tool.

So sysadmin-ish linux proficiency stuff..

I had a student , a greybeard unix guru from back in the day, and he
had obliviously noticed with some frustration that I was not a master
of my cursor movement commands. He pointed it out over lunch, he had
grown tired of my arrow back, arrow back, arrow back :-)

Since that day I have tried to at least ctrl-A to go to beginning of
line, ctrl-E to go the end. I have tried the meta-key commands to go
back a "word" but I find the definition of a "word" is not greedy
enough. If I recall "back on word" with "/etc/network/dns" breaks that
path into three "words" esc-b therefore has not "stuck" in my brain
like ctrlA and CTRL-E have. What timesavers, now I get upset when my
browser or other tool ignores my ctrl-e.

--
Tom