[colug-432] Install new version at / ?

Roberto C. Sánchez roberto at connexer.com
Mon Jun 9 21:12:57 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 07:32:08PM -0500, Thomas Cranston wrote:
>    I have an 80GB drive that is partitioned:
>    /dev/sda1 /         ext4
>    /dev/sda4/home  ext4
>    dev/sda2/tmp      ext4
>
>    It has Linuxmint 14 on it now. I will be installing Linuxmint17. My
>    understanding is that by having a seperate /dev/home, I can install
>    another linux distro while keeping my /dev/home and hopefully /dev/tmp.
>
>    I am not sure how to do this. Will the installer guide me thru what I want
>    to do?

I am not particularly familiar with LinuxMint, but Debian and every
other Debian-based distro which I have encountered (LinuxMint is
Debian-based) makes it very easy to just update your
/etc/apt/sources.list and then upgrade the whole distro.  The details
vary, as sometimes packages must be upgraded in a particular order (this
has happened when hardware subsystems change in the kernel, for
instance).  However, you ought not have to reinstall the entire distro.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez