[colug-432] Conflict btwn Screen and Putty

Joshua Kramer joskra42.list at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 09:23:10 EST 2014

Hello Everyone,

I have an odd conflict between screen (the terminal multiplexer) and Putty,
and this is something I've never seen before.

The environment is RedHat 5.8.  It's worth noting that when I was using
CentOS 5.x on a daily basis, I used Putty and screen all the time without
encountering this problem.

Normally, when you login via putty with bash as your shell, you can hit the
up-arrow for the last command.  This sends the ascii code for ESC, then [A,
and it goes across to bash (or whatever other program) just fine.  When you
try this via screen, it looks like the terminal manager in screen takes
"the ascii code for ESC, then [A" and turns it into the actual character
string ^[[A, which is Caret + [ + [  + A.

I was always able to sort out these kinds of issues on my own systems by
setting TERM=xterm and the Putty terminal emulation to xterm.  That doesn't
work in this case.  Where should I start looking for possible solutions to
this problem?

Thanks!
-JK