[colug-432] Install and Manually Partition Debian

George Larson george.g.larson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 22:11:58 EDT 2014

Okay!  I think I understand enough to offer some help. -- or at least try.

Graphical installer -- I suppose we're using GParted?

I say you can do it with little to no expertise, including writing the
fstab.  Just seems strange for a Debian install.

I usually do a 'swap' that's twice the size of memory (up to a max of 2gb).

Obviously, you like a beefier '/tmp'.

'/home' is where all the user's files (downloads, bins, documents,
etc.) will live and '/' is root where all the guts will get stored.

Four partitions? I'd guess all primary partitions.  If GParted wants
to format them at the time, you're safe using 'ext4' on the non-swaps.

Once that's done, we can write your fstab as described here:  [
http://www.maketecheasier.com/getting-to-know-your-fstab/  ]
It old-school (instead of using UUID's) but should work to get you running.

Though, to be honest, this seems like a a pretty laborious install if
you're not already familiar with these things.  If you like Debian, it
might be easier to use plain Debian (without the Mint bit)?
Personally, I'm a big fan of Crunchbang (also Debian, painless
install).

Good luck!  =D

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 8:04 PM, tom <thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/14/2014 05:53 PM, George Larson wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 5:58 PM, tom <thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> How advanced does one need to be to Install and manually partition
>>> Debian?
>> I think manually a drive when I think of Arch, Slackware and maybe
>> Gentoo?  Definitely don't think that you need to do such things
>> manually for Debian but, like anything else, it's only daunting until
>> you've read a bit.  If you've a drive free and clear that you can use
>> then there shouldn't be anything scary about it at all.  If you're
>> trying to carve out space on an existing system (and assuming it's
>> Windows) then Wubi might be something to consider.
> I had the foresight to do on an extra drive
>>
>>> Does one need to know how to write their own /etc/fstab?
>> Uhm...  You probably will not need to write your own fstab.  May I ask
>> what you're planning to do?
> See http://imagebin.org/299394
> "During the install you will be required to write your own /etc/fstab"
>
> /
> /tmp
> /home
> swap
>
> And yes I do require a /tmp with size specified by me. /tmp is not big
> enough on default install to meet my needs.
>>

>>> What other skills does one need to have?
>> See above.  If you just want to use GNU/Linux, I don't think you need
>> any of the mentioned skills.
>>

>> Why do you want to write your own fstab?
> I do not want to. It is required by the Linux Mint Debian Installer,
> again see http://imagebin.org/299394
>>
> Tom

-= c0d3 :: j0rg3 - all code, no cruft =-