[colug-432] wanted: silent PC for ownCloud hosting

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Sun Mar 30 20:47:54 EDT 2014

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 8:19 PM, Brian Miller <bnmille at gmail.com> wrote:
> The mini HP systems sound good.

I've received other independent recommendations for the MicroServer,
so it's definitely something I'll explore.  Thanks!

> But I would look at a used laptop,
> personally.  I'm using my old (dual core) Acer NetBook as a server.  The
> fan almost never comes on (I get a syslog entry when it does.  It is
> physically located in a place where I wouldn't hear it if it did.),
> it's small, comes with its own UPS, and the notebook capabilities means
> it runs at the slowest CPU speed most of the time. I bought mine with an
> SSD disk.  But you can generally get SSDs for notebooks, too.

I have a laptop I could use in this way, but I feel somewhat
uncomfortable using a laptop in an always-on capacity like this.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!  Share any others you might have.

Cheers,
Scott