[colug-432] NFS / Fuse on OpenVZ VPS

Rob Stampfli rob944 at cboh.org
Sun Mar 30 21:50:57 EDT 2014

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 08:34:29PM -0400, Bill Schwanitz wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2014, at 5:56 PM, Rob Stampfli <rob944 at cboh.org> wrote:
>
> > I believe the problem is that, while I have root access to my VPS, I
> > don't "own" my kernel -- it is what the VPS supplier provides for their
> > VPSes, and I can't change it.
>
> I do not think you can do kernel modules within an openvz container. http://openvz.org/NFS_server_inside_container provides some insights - you may be able to at least get nfs working in user-land.
>
> https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/811

Bill, your comments were most helpful, although I think they just confirm
my suspicions that my OpenVZ kernel does not have the NFS kernel module
loaded and there is no way for me to load it after the fact.  Yes, I've
debated trying to get a user-space NFS server running.  Debian offers
mutually exclusive packages for both kernel- and user-space NFS servers,
but I don't see a user-level package for CentOS so it looks like I'll
have to compile it from sources.  Also, my remembrance of of the user-
space package was that it was fairly dated.  In any event, your openvz.org
cite was pretty much what I had been looking for, but had failed to come
across, in my various Google searches.

Thanks again,
Rob