[colug-432] wanted: silent PC for ownCloud hosting

Ed Liddle ed at someplaceinohio.net
Mon Mar 31 13:34:26 EDT 2014

If it will run on an atom based machine, newegg has a few mini itx atom
boards that are priced reasonably.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=miniitx+atom&N=-1&isNodeId=1

A few years ago I bought 2 mini itx intel atom boards with a dualcore 64bit
atom processor. They have been working pretty well. I have used a case fan
with them and have ran them without a case fan. I have been using a regular
ATX mini tower case for them so it has a lot of room for air flow around
them.
I am currently using one as a minecraft server with at most maybe 3 -5
users on it at a time. It runs it ok.

If you want a small form factor case with it, you could look at their
mini/booksize barebones computers.

I hope this helps!

-Ed

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 09:51:15AM -0400, Paul Dubuc wrote:
> > > I don't need a powerhouse machine.  Size and noise are my two main
> > > priorities, with power consumption being third.  Something I can attach
> > > to my UPS and forget about is ideal. Ideally SSD for storage, and
> > > something that doesn't require fans, if that's at all possible.
> > >

> > Would something like this work?
> >
> > http://zareason.com/shop/Zini-1330.html
>
> Neat find.  I like that a lot, but I'd be paying for several features
> for which I'd have no use.  I don't need HDMI or audio or WiFi in my
> ideal tiny silent server.
>
> Cheers,
> Scott

-Ed Liddle

No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many
electrons were terrible inconvenienced.