[colug-432] password survey

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Sat May 24 11:46:21 EDT 2014

On Saturday, May 24, 2014 07:31:50 AM Scott McCarty wrote:
> When I say keys, I mean hashed keys (per my article).

OK, as far as I can tell you're talking about public/private key
authentication, specifically using SSH. (Just saying "keys" or even "hashed
keys" is really vague and could refer to a lot of schemes.)

The problem is that it doesn't solve the problem of existing protocols. SSH
is great, but that doesn't help with logging into Google or my bank or my
company's mail server, much less using my phone to do those things, nor
with getting random non-techies secure access to what they need.

Although it's possible to use SSH without shell access, it's a bit of a
hack, and far from a general solution to the authentication problem.

> As a final note, on speed and security. I am not sure what the group's
> opinion is on Lastpass, but I have developed a very effective personal
> security system based on last pass and Yubikey. This has literally
> changed my life ;-)
>
> http://crunchtools.com/last-pass-with-yubikey

Now that is interesting.....