[colug-432] password survey

Bill Baker bill_chris at earthlink.net
Sat May 24 12:38:42 EDT 2014

OK, so let's say we all start immediately using public key
authentication (in reality, I would bet that we will still be using
password authentication 20, 30 or even 50 years into the future).  How
long until the next tool comes along that renders even that useless?
It's only been around 20 years since computers have moved from the
gamer/hobbyist/scientist realm to general, wide-spread business use.
Who's to say that in another 20 years, computer hardware combined with
cracking software will become sufficiently advanced to render public key
authentication useless?

I guess my point here is that the user in the joke is probably an office
drone who is not keeping any sensitive information on her computer.  A
cracker would most likely not invest much time trying to crack her
password, and move on to her more vulnerable co-workers.