[colug-432] Random Generator

tom thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Sat May 24 13:29:08 EDT 2014

On 05/24/2014 12:17 PM, tom wrote:
> I decided to change my Ebay password. After reading the timely
> password survey discussion, and other sources I decided to use a
> lengthy random password.
>
> dd if=/dev/random bs=1 count=48 2>/dev/null | base64 -w 0 | rev | cut
> -b 2- | rev
> jdLtcA0QawkgrYWDWkMEhAy9JCPX0hCwU/H0emcTew7QuTowMLax1tzKiqsFWhh
>

> I wanted to see if that length exceeded ebay's limit. No I am not
> going to use that password. While writing it down I noticed elements
> that could qualify as dictionary words: awk, ME, JCP, emc, Tow, Lax.
>
> I then went for a shorter password. It appears to be more random:
>
>  dd if=/dev/random bs=1 count=32 2>/dev/null | base64 -w 0 | rev | cut
> -b 2- | rev
> nEh2cXZ+qb648Im9GbOh4i3Ls88TNKcKPraq4vp4TkY
>
> Looks like the first command line is running out of resources in my
> laptop. It was last booted 10 days ago. Dell Inspiron 1520. Pentium
> DualCore 64 bit. @ GB RAM.
>
> Is there a better command line to produce a random password? Anything
> I can do with my laptop to produce more randomness, like increase the
> number of processes running?
>
> Tom

I just created a password for Ebay using dd if=/dev/random bs=1 count=32
2>/dev/null | base64 -w 0 | rev | cut -b 2- | rev .  I got message "Your
password cannot be longer than 20 characters." Are they serious about
security?

Any thoughts about best command line to create the most random password
that fits their requirements?

Tom