[colug-432] xfs_dump doesn't dump more than 4.4G??

Joshua Kramer joskra42.list at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 17:51:51 EST 2014

Hello All,

I have a 240G SSD in my laptop.  Originally I allocated 40G for the root
partition.  Now, after having used the system for a while, I notice I still
have 32G free space.  I'd like to shrink this partition and re-allocate the
space to /home.  But here's the kicker: both partitions are XFS partitions
on a LVM volume.

>From what I've seen you can't shrink an XFS partition... just dump,
re-create it, and restore.  So I booted a LiveCentos instance off of a USB
drive.  I mounted an external EXT3 disk, and proceeded to xfsdump the root
partition.

The root partition has about 8G of stuff on it.  But no matter what I
tried, xfsdump wouldn't dump more than 4.4G.  There is about 40GB free on
the target disk.

What could I be missing?

Thanks!
-JK