[colug-432] Setting Up New Servers

Joe Strickler joe at decafjoe.com
Thu Apr 16 11:34:45 EDT 2015

Echoing what Chris and Scott said: If you're not regularly provisioning
machines, it might be a better use of time to simply make a checklist.
You'll easily spend 5x-10x the amount of time automating each step than you
would just doing it and making a note for next time. (Relevant xkcd:
https://xkcd.com/1319/)

When you have more than a couple dozen machines, investing in a
configuration management tool is a no-brainer. For one or two (or a
handful), it's a choice. If you have the time and energy to devote to
learning and using a configuration management tool, by all means do so! In
any case, it's a good tool to have in your toolbox.

Like Scott, I use Puppet professionally and I quite enjoy it. At the day
job, I can't imagine managing servers without it. I also use it for my
personal machine and server, and even in that limited capacity it's been a
worthwhile investment.

If you do decide to go with Puppet, be aware of "standalone" mode. Many
deployments use an agent/master model, but that's overkill for a small
number of machines. `puppet apply' is your friend for small deployments.

Best,
Joe