[colug-432] Show Parent/Child Relationships of Database Tables

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 12:35:59 EDT 2015

> On Aug 11, 2015, at 11:24, jep200404 at columbus.rr.com wrote:
>
> What program shows the parent/child relationships for all the
> tables of a database? I am looking for a program that would have
> plain text output, with one table name on each line, and
> indentation indicating the parent/child relationship
> in an outline kind of format.
> I have not found good results searching the web,
> not even of GUI tools.
>
> I am using postgresql, but a nice program would work with
> other database software, such as MariaDB, also.

GUI and mysql, but mySQL workbench maybe?

	https://dev.mysql.com/doc/workbench/en/index.html

GUI and Postgres:

	https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/GUI_Database_Design_Tools

You may also try this relatively recent blog post talking about a cross-database tool someone wrote -

	https://kmonsoor.wordpress.com/2014/12/18/generate-er-diagram-from-sql-database/

Not sure if you've already tried this specifically, but I searched "<database> relationship diagram" to find those references.

I'm not sure what an ER (entity relationship) tool's output would look like in plain text, but something may be out there - or you may be able to build one yourself using Perl or Ruby by running queries that analyze the tables similar to what SchemaSpy is doing.