[colug-432] FCC Changes blocks use of open source software

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 17:06:39 EDT 2015

> On Aug 26, 2015, at 15:32, Ed Liddle <ed at someplaceinohio.net> wrote:
>
> The FCC is wanting to lock down wifi and phone devices so changes can not be made to them. This will have a big impact on open source software for phones, tablets and wireless routers such as CyanogenMod,  DDWRT and an even bigger impact on AREDEN http://www.aredn.org/ and Broadband Hamnet mesh firmware http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/  which use part 15 WiFi devices and configure them to operate as amateur radio devices.
>
> There is a thread about it with some other links on the AREDN forum with some links here.   http://www.aredn.org/content/fcc-rules-change-will-lock-out-your-software-new-equipment

I'm not 100% sure I'm following, but from reading that thread and a couple of other things, the FCC seems to be looking to impose new rules for the purpose of "preventing users from using illegal channels on the 2.4 GHz band, using too high transmission power, using DFS channels in 5.3 – 5.7GHz band without having DFS functionality, and avoiding interfering with (airport) terminal-area doppler weather radars."[1]

The FCC's proposed action "DEVICES CANNOT BE MODIFIED!" seems a bit heavy-handed.  As an aviation geek (and former pilot), I have far more concerns about morons with laser pointers and clueless idiots with their stupid toy airplanes ("drones") flying around in controlled airspace.  Someone blasting a wifi signal and interfering with radar cannot be that hard to triangulate and track down with the right gear.  In a hardware-based radio, with a small amount of knowledge (or a YouTube video), a trip to RadioShack, and a soldering iron, I could accomplish the same thing the FCC seems to be attempting to counter.

I follow aviation fairly closely - and I'm not aware of any stories involving radar interference from someone's cranked up wifi.  Weather radar is extremely important to aviators, the flying public, and weather forecasters trying to tell people a tornado is coming - don't get me wrong.  I definitely don't want someone interfering with it.  Yet, I'm hesitant* to endorse any more draconian DMCA/DRM complete lock-out type approaches.  Is the FCC trying to solve a real issue, or just creating new rules?

-rick

[1] http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/08/07/openwrt-vs-fcc-forced-firmware-lockdown-presentation-video-and-slides/#ixzz3jxJeEu8V

* OT: Because of the difficulty in tracking down the culprits, I make an exception for enforced geofencing on the toy drones to keep them away from real aircraft and airports.