[colug-432] IPv6 adventures

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Mon Aug 31 10:45:27 EDT 2015

R P Herrold wrote:
> The IPv6 address calculator tool I mentioned was:
> 	ipv6calc
> for more easily building PTR records
> 	http://www.deepspace6.net/projects/ipv6calc.html

That reminds me: Someone needs to send that to Time-Warner, because
their IPv6 reverse-lookup is completely broken.

> Probably multiple units thinking they are the 'authortative'
> radvd.  On the clients a ip6tables rule pair like this may
> help:
>
> -A FORWARD -p ipv6-icmp --icmpv6-type
> 	router-advertisement -s fe80::202:b3ff:feda:5e8b -j ACCEPT
> -A FORWARD -p ipv6-icmp --icmpv6-type
> 	router-advertisement -j DROP
>
> for all but wanted radvd's.

As far as I know I don't have any radvd on my network, though I assume
there's one on the T-W side. Maybe their radvd plus my dhcp is the
problem?

>   [We intentionally use the Link-Local side, not the Global scoped
>   source, to reduce the likelihood of successful 'spoofing' from
>   external 'forgers' -- ^fe packets do not properly cross router
>   boundries] The log files on the radvd's should be settable to a
>   debug level to show the MAC addresses of the clients they are
>   servicing

I get an "Invalid argument" error when I try to ping or ssh to the
link-local address of one machine from the other.

> TCPDUMP should also know how to display only that packet type.
> Write an ! host rule for known radvd's and see what other MAC
> addresses are talking that ICMP packet type.  The 'man' page
> for my local version suggests crafting such rules is left as
> an exercise of the reader ;)

Hmmm.....