[colug-432] IPv6 adventures

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Mon Aug 31 14:44:06 EDT 2015

Jim Wildman wrote:
> yes.  <dev> of the nic on the ipv6 network
>
> and you need that when ip -6 route doesn't have a default route set
> yet (because there is no radvd running, no router, etc)

Hm. If I'm reading it right, both fe80::/64 and my TW-assigned /64
route to eth0, and I have a default route pointing to my router's
link-local address (which I still need a -I to ping).

I'm still not used to the "ip" command, and still default to the
old-style commands (route, netstat, ifconfig). But that does remind me
to look at "ip addr" instead of "ifconfig", and I see more clues to my
original question. In the list of (now six) global addresses, all the
global addresses say "dynamic", all the random-looking ones say
"temporary", and all but one of those say "deprecated". They all say
"valid_lft 7177sec", the deprecated ones say "preferred_lft 0sec", and
the non-deprecated ones say "preferred_lft 1777sec".

I think I need to figure out what's assigning those addresses
(probably dhcp6 on the router), and check some settings there.