[colug-432] VPN types

Chris Anderson canderson at foxtwo.net
Wed Dec 16 17:09:03 EST 2015

PPTP is a pretty old protocol that uses CHAP/PAP authentication for the
most part. I avoid using it because of the security issues, and the data is
passed via GRE, which does not play well with NAT.

L2TP often adds IPSEC to the mix while authenticating similarly to PPTP. It
is more secure than PPTP, but has a lot of the same drawbacks.

OpenVPN is ideal because it uses an SSL tunnel. If you choose TCP as the
tunnel type, chances are good you can get through most firewalls and NAT at
companies, hotels, coffee shops, etc. Using UDP there is a good chance it
will get blocked, but it is still more secure than L2TP or PPTP. OpenVPN
with TCP has some known performance issues if your network has a lot of
packet loss.