[colug-432] Make the Nest thermostat "smarter"?

Chris Anderson canderson at foxtwo.net
Wed Dec 30 10:58:07 EST 2015

It has been a while since I set this up for Asterisk, but Bluez might be
what you are looking for, for pairing Bluetooth devices to a Linux box
(requires a bluetooth adapter, of course).

There is some pretty good information here:
http://www.stlinux.com/kernel/bluetooth/BlueZ-setup

There may be a better way of scripting based on Bluetooth events, but a
quick-and-dirty way to do this would be a cronjob grepping the output of
one of the Bluez status utilities for your phone's status, and triggering
based on that. You would want to have other checks in there to account for
times when your phone was unavailable for other reasons (out of range
inside the house, or dead battery, etc).

I used to use this to allow me to answer cell phone calls on my home
VoIP/Asterisk line while at home. That's a pain to set up, but this should
be a lot simpler if all you need is info on whether or not the phone is in
range. I wish I could be more specific with the commands, but it's been
ages.