[colug-432] Top or Bottom Post

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 13:41:02 EST 2015

> On Feb 28, 2015, at 13:04, tom <thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My understanding is that it is not proper to top post a reply. In
> practice about half the people top post. Thunderbird automatically puts
> the cursor in the top position position in a reply. No wonder so many
> people top post. Anybody use a email client that places the cursor in
> the bottom post position?

We usually bottom post here because we follow the conventions we've used since the earliest days of email that I can recall.  Bottom post is because we read top to bottom - it makes sense to read a thread in chronological order. Reverse chronological order drives me a little nuts - especially in longer threads at work.

I don't know who started the default to top - but I feel like it was Outlook.  It was Outlook users (no surprise) who seemed to first really embrace HTML email.  I know I had to be dragged into using (even just enabling for reading) HTML in email. I still very rarely use formatted email. Then again - to tell you my attitude - if I thought there was a reasonable way to still use Pine today, I'd be doing that.

Might be a "you kids get off my lawn" type thing with me :)