[colug-432] Recommendation for router/?

Zach Villers zachvatwork at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 12:31:19 EST 2015

COLUG,

Thinking of replacing my cable company router with something I can run
either open/ddwrt or pfSense on. I need at least 8 ethernet ports and
wireless for a ~ 1600 sq ft house. I would also like to set up a central
backup server for our house. We dont have alot, so maybe a couple of 1 TB
drives.

Would it be best to buy a separate router and build a backup server, or
combine the two into a multipurpose machine? If building a router/server,
would i just need two NICs and a wireless card?

Any opinions on either ddwrt or pfSense or something else?

Thanks for any advice.
-Zach