[colug-432] Recommendation for router/?

Robert Jewell bob at disclosed.org
Wed Jan 7 14:56:33 EST 2015

> On Jan 7, 2015, at 2:32 PM, Rick Hornsby <richardjhornsby at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That said, I had fun and learned a good deal about Linux, networking etc by building my own Linux router and configuring iptables etc by hand if you're into that sort of thing.

Yeah, I totally second this - I'm pretty sure I made a router from a freebie 486 I got from a COLUG member some ~15 years ago and really learned a lot.

That said, I have to recommend Netgear for consumer routers. Most of their previous gen of routers (basic "n" wireless/routers) worked very well with ddwrt/tomato, and they made an organizational effort to enable opensource firmware projects.  I had no experience with the current generation, but I had such outstanding experiences with items similar to the WDNR3500[1][2] that I'd give it some serious consideration.

And if you do that, then your internet won't go out when the floppy disk that's running the OS on your 486 router wears out. (woops)

1: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNR3500L-Open-Source-WNR3500Lv2-Processor/dp/B002RYYZZS/ <http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNR3500L-Open-Source-WNR3500Lv2-Processor/dp/B002RYYZZS/>  Hard to ignore how cheap this is for the quality/capability.
2: http://www.amazon.com/WNR3500L-V2-Wireless-firmware-Refurbished/dp/B00HOGY5W2/ <http://www.amazon.com/WNR3500L-V2-Wireless-firmware-Refurbished/dp/B00HOGY5W2/> You can even find them refurbed by thirdparties and preloaded with tomato firmware.