[colug-432] Recommendation for router/?

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Wed Jan 7 15:06:18 EST 2015

Zach Villers wrote:
> Would it be best to buy a separate router and build a backup server, or
> combine the two into a multipurpose machine?

I'd separate those two, but then I'd also separate the wireless access
point from the router.

> Any opinions on either ddwrt or pfSense or something else?

DD-WRT is particularly nice for wireless access points, and works
for a simple router.

I use OpenWRT for my router, but that gets a little complicated at
times. I've never tried pfSense.

I second the recommendation for Netgear (including for a switch),
though you'll want to check the hardware compatibility lists for your
chosen firmware, since not all wireless chips are always supported.