[colug-432] ec2 instance

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 13:13:32 EDT 2015

> On Jul 3, 2015, at 09:24, Aaron Howard <archanoid at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> When you created the instance did you generate a key pair? Did you download the private key? When you say into an ec2 instance you have to use the private key you set the instance up with. Check that.

Okay, first let me say this: argh, Amazon?

Actually, first I should say thanks to COLUG [lurker] Jason Alexander who helped me sort it out.

It turned out that the problem wasn't in the instance itself or the security group, but rather a misconfiguration in the VPC[1].  The VPC was missing its gateway route[2].  No idea why or how it got that way - I've never seen the VPC configuration screen before.  All 4 VPCs appear to be configured this way.  After so much puttering with the security groups, it almost had to be something with the VPC or Subnet ID, but I had no idea there were any accessible VPC settings.

One of the clues was that when you looked at the system's logs, NTP was complaining - suggesting that there was an overall issue with the host's traffic.  It started to really feel like a routing table issue, and then Jason found the misconfigured VPC settings.  As soon as I added the correct route[2, red arrow], things started working immediately.

thanks Jason!

[1] https://console.aws.amazon.com/vpc/ <https://console.aws.amazon.com/vpc/>
[2] http://imgur.com/4B0pSZK <http://imgur.com/4B0pSZK>