[colug-432] The end [of IPv4] is here, sort of

Roberto C. Sánchez roberto at connexer.com
Fri Jul 3 20:32:03 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 03, 2015 at 04:34:27PM -0500, Rick Hornsby wrote:

> It seems to me that widespread IPv6 adoption will only start to happen
> once it becomes significantly more expensive for orgs like my former
> employer to purchase IPv4 blocks than it does to change over.

I think that this has been long in coming, if delayed somewhat thanks to
CIDR and NAT.  Personally, I'm a bit frustrated that even large
government organizations (DOD, I'm looking at you) that "committed" to
switch to IPv6 by the year 2000 (IIRC) are no closer than the commercial
sector.  A huge organization like DOD switching to IPv6 certainly would
have had far reaching ripple effects and likely would have spurred
commercial adoption by organizations that connect to them.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez