[colug-432] bridging OpenVPN into my LAN

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Mon Jul 27 10:12:54 EDT 2015

Started out this note asking about home-grown Cert Auth. Turns out that
OpenVPN pays attention to client versus server usage tagging in the
X.509 extensions. That's a GOOD thing, but I had seen so much brokenness
in PKI land that I ASSumed OpenVPN would be similarly careless. I feel
so much better now.

Still got a little problem, though.

With the client cert (in the Windoze OpenVPN client) and the server cert
(in the Linux OpenVPN server, they talk. But I'm having some trouble
getting the netmask right for may LAN boxes to be reachable from the
client. The latest go-round I used the example "server 10.8.0.0
255.255.255.0" but the client winds up with a /30 netmask rather than
the expected /24.

Thoughts?

I thought I'd prefer "server-bridge" but failed with that config too.
(And at the moment I don't remember the details. Have been out of pocket
for several days.) Ideally I want the simplicity that the Win box sees
the same servers when mobile as it does when at home.

This was all so easy with PPP over SSH on Linux.

-- R; <><