[colug-432] Great moments in computer science

tom thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 19:36:03 EDT 2015

On 06/03/2015 06:06 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jun 2015, Jeff Frontz wrote:

>> When you're in a "fly-by-wire" car, the computer is between you and the
>> ignition/transmission. If the task that pays attention to driver input
>> drops core, there is no way to "turn off the ignition, put it in neutral,
>> put it in low gear, etc."
> not just a hypothetical concern ...
>
> or standing outside it as an innocent bystander
>
> 	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8nnhUCtcO8
>
> -- Russ herrold
Most of the cars on the road are not entirely drive by wire. Your point
about drive by wire is well taken. I was surprised the people driving
those corollas never thought of either:

Turn off the ignition
Put it in neutral - let the engine blow up.
Engage the hydraulically actuated clutch
Throw on the parking brake

I do not think drive by wire or self driving cars are a great idea. They
can't get automatic transmissions to shift as well as humans, so I don't
see how they can expect to build a self driver, unless only the few
privileged are allowed to drive. What's going to happen when the
Internet goes down? That's going to happen!

Tom

--
Sent by LinuxMint