[colug-432] Basics of the Unix Philosophy

Stephen Potter spp at unixsa.net
Tue Jun 16 12:34:45 EDT 2015

Many years ago (back when it was new in '94-95), I picked up Mike
Gancarz "The Unix Philosophy"
(http://www.amazon.com/UNIX-Philosophy-Mike-Gancarz/dp/1555581234). I
thought it was a great read that went along quite well with the classic
Kernigan/Pike and Sobell books.  I see he updated it in 2003 to catch
the Linux wave
(http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Unix-Philosophy-Mike-Gancarz/dp/1555582737/).

Gancarz broke down the philosophy in 9 tenets:
1. Small is beautiful.
2. Make each program do one thing well.
3. Build a prototype as soon as possible.
4. Choose portability over efficiency.
5. Store data in flat text files.
6. Use software leverage to your advantage.
7. Use shell scripts to increase leverage and portability.
8. Avoid captive user interfaces.
9. Make every program a filter.

It is enlightening to see him take a program like "ls" and show how 20
years ago it had already broken some of the philosophy.

-spp