[colug-432] Unix Is The Last Operating System

Stephen Potter spp at unixsa.net
Wed Jun 17 10:24:44 EDT 2015

So, I've been pondering something recently.  Not so much the exact quote
below, but the concept of the end of the Operating System.

With so much of the world now virtualized or (dare I say) cloud-based,
when comes the point that we no longer need generic OSes?  When does the
hypervisor become the OS, and the application start to include
everything it needs to run on the hypervisor directly?  With the
hypervisor handling the abstraction of most of the hardware, including
to a large extent process scheduling and memory management even, the
guest OS becomes much simpler.  There is no longer a need for the guest
to support features such as page sharing or garbage collection.  It
doesn't need a robust networking stack with all of the lower level
protocol support.

A lot of the complexity of the modern OS comes from general use/user
mode features.  If you start to look at single use guests (virtual
appliances, if you will) which often have their own built-in application
specific "user modes", user management, and API management layers,  you
start to remove the need for large parts of the basic OS.  If you remove
the need to individual users, you remove the need for shells, for the
variety of scripting tools, display managers, remote access programs,
generic troubleshooting tools, OS level firewalls.  You remove
complexity, decrease attack profiles, increase security, increase
performance.

As you move further along, you no longer have need for a variety of
filesystem types - perhaps to the point of not even needing a
traditional filesystem at all.

Oracle started toward this trend with features like ASM to take care of
storage management a long time ago.
What is the next logical step, and when does it happen?

-spp