[colug-432] Unix Is The Last Operating System

tom thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 12:57:29 EDT 2015

On 06/17/2015 11:36 AM, Rick Hornsby wrote:
> Can you point to any references for this "increased durability" claim?  I'm not aware of this trend.
I am not claiming increased durability. In fact the ultra thin laptops
are less durable, and extremely hard to repair. Some of them need to be
torn down, including  mobo removal to replace the optical drive (if it
has one).

>> >Phones and tablets are still in the stage of rapid
>> >development and are somewhat obsolete on a rapid timetable like PC's
>> >used to be. Also, they are a lot more fragile and need to be replaced
>> >more often due to breakage.
> So you believe the tablet sales numbers are driven by people are dropping them?
Somewhat
>    That seems highly unlikely.  Even if it was, replacements under programs like AppleCare don't count toward sales numbers.
Mostly it's the bright and shiny object factor. I find that the people I
know, and they are not tech types, use both tablets, hand-held's and
PC's, laptops. They both have their advantages. I imagine a lot of the 1
percent use smartphones, etc because they can't afford or finance a PC.
You see that a lot in third world nations. The Irony is that while
handhelds are small while displays, TV's/monitors are getting giganticised.

>> >Will there be less PC sales? Yes. Going
>> >away? I don't think so.
> Agreed.
Agreed