[colug-432] Ophcrack

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 00:06:34 EDT 2015

> On Jun 21, 2015, at 19:22, Robert Grimm <robertgrimm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If you have access to a compatible OS install disc, you can boot to the utilities and use the password reset tool. What version is it? I might have one.
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 7:28 PM tom <thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com <mailto:thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Is there anything like ophcrack for Mac? I got a MacG4 from ebay for a
> friend to replace his old one. Works well, but he needs password to add
> software. I contacted the seller and am waiting for an answer. Is there
> a default admin password for it?

There is no default password for OS X, unless you count empty string as a "default".

You're unlikely to crack an OS X (BSD) system password in a reasonable amount of time and effort.  Better to reset it.  However --

My personal and professional suggestion is forget trying to repair the password issue and wipe the system out completely.  Don't trust a seller installed OS.  Who knows what might be lurking - malicious or otherwise.