[colug-432] rsync include/exclude

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 11:11:55 EST 2015

Trying to sort out how to properly use rsync to copy only certain files.  Most resources, including the man page, seem to say

rsync --include="*/" --include=pat1 --include=pat2 --include=patN --exclude="*"

However, I'm finding that rsync seems to be using the final exclude to override the previous includes.

"[sender] hiding file X because of pattern *"

So far everything I can find (including the manpage) says to use that order (exclude last).  If I remove the exclude, the files I want - and more - are included.  That is, instead of hiding the files it pretends (dry-run) to send them.

Also, I'm using

rsync -a -vvv --dry-run ...

thanks

Sent from my iPhone