[colug-432] On boot, can I get e2fsck to pause if disk isn't there?

Joshua Kramer joskra42.list at gmail.com
Sun May 3 15:37:24 EDT 2015

Hello,

I have a Raspberry Pi set up.  I am putting the /var and /home partitions
on an external USB hard drive, so as to not burn through flash.

My problem is this: initd goes to run e2fsck on the hard drive partitions,
before the kernel realizes that the hard drive is there.  So e2fsck always
bombs, complaining that /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 do not exist.  If I drop to
a maintenance prompt, I can e2fsck and mount both partitions just fine.

How can I get e2fsck to wait and retry checking if the disk isn't there?

Thanks!
-JK