[colug-432] Puppet Foreman default environment

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Thu May 14 11:06:08 EDT 2015

I have no experience with Foreman, so can’t provide any real help there.

> Subsequent runs of puppet agent either require the environment flag to always be provided, or a change to the /etc/puppet/puppet.conf file, otherwise after setting the host to the correct environment in the ENC this:

Unless you explicitly configure your Puppet clients differently, they will always default to the “production” environment.  Editing the puppet.conf file is the easiest way to accomplish that.

> 	Warning: Local environment: "production" doesn't match server specified node environment "dev", switching agent to "dev".
>
> Related to that, would it make sense to have the client's puppet.conf file managed by the puppet master?  The problem I see there is that if somehow it gets screwed up, puppet is now effectively broken for whatever hosts took the bad change.

There can be some chicken-and-egg challenges with Puppet managing Puppet, but in general I encourage it.  It streamlines changes that might affect your entire Puppet infrastructure.  And Puppet “failures” are generally safe, in that a bad catalog won’t compile or execute.   (Of course, bad data in a valid catalog can still be problematic.)