[colug-432] sed basics

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Fri May 15 10:28:17 EDT 2015

> On May 15, 2015, at 09:15, Jeff Frontz <jeff.frontz at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 9:32 AM, Rick Hornsby <richardjhornsby at gmail.com <mailto:richardjhornsby at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Yep.  'exit' (watch your case, probably just DYAC here) inside a script will stop the script, it will not close the terminal
>
> Be careful of how you're actually executing that script -- if it's dotted/sourced, it will cause the including shell to exit.

Good point - I forgot about that use case.

. some_script.sh
source some_script.sh

A few years back, I had a UNIX admin from another team pull a bonehead move and put an exit statement into /etc/profile while he was "testing" something on one of our boxes.  He then forgot about it.  We realized there was a serious issue when no one could log in.  Fortunately one of my engineers was still logged into the box so we were able to fix it.