[colug-432] Pausing

Steve VanSlyck s.vanslyck at postpro.net
Fri May 15 21:28:59 EDT 2015

> What makes you think /dev/null is not writable?

Because I get this: steve at vslaw.pro in /home/steve> sudo ping localhost
-c 2 -i 3 > /dev/null [sudo] password for steve:

So . . . I need to chagne read to echo. Wilco.

 http://invisible-island.net/dialog ."
>> sleep 2s # or ping localhost -c 2 -i 2 > null yum -y install dialog
> Right, so the reason it is pausing is because of your read command.
That line is waiting for an EOF, which comes when you finally hit enter.

> http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/sect_08_02.html
>> (I cannot send to /dev/null because that requires sudo and that's
 a pain for testing.)
> Uh ...? That doesn't sound right -or- like a badly configured host for
this reason:

> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man4/null.4.html

NOTES:

If these devices are not writable and readable for all users, many

programs will act strangely.

What makes you think /dev/null is not writable?

>> For each one, execution stops until I press <enter>

 tried sleep 3s after trying sleep 3, which didn't work.

>>> Need more context. Sleep is the correct command for pausing.
>>>

>>> ./sleep_test.sh Fri May 15 19:41:57 CDT 2015 Fri May 15 19:42:00 CDT
>>> 2015 aztec:bin rhornsby$ cat sleep_test.sh
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> date sleep 3 date

 Want's me to press <enter>.

sleep 3