[colug-432] Regex

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Sat May 16 22:35:35 EDT 2015

On Sat, 16 May 2015 22:03:08 -0400, Steve VanSlyck <s.vanslyck at postpro.net> wrote:

> I think $1 copies the prior group, ...

Why do you think $1? Please cite your reference.

What about &1?

Do you need backslashes in front of your parentheses in the pattern?

Start with the simplest text and regexes to learn
the prior group stuff before playing with your big sed command.
I.e., Start with the simple and progress to the complex.

Did your email client break a long sed command into two lines?

--
To get good answers, consider following the advice in the links below.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way by Eric Raymond.
Quoting Style by Richard Kettlewell.
http://web.archive.org/web/20090627155454/www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting.html